recover-space v0.5 [21 Apr 2015] by Dominic
This script zeroes all unused space in the filesystem of the specified directory. If this is on a virtual disk you can then close the virtual machine and compact the disk using VMWare instructions to make the disk file smaller.
Don't do this while the system is doing anything else!
A warning prompt is displayed before it starts, and visual feedback is provided during the process.
Unlike similar utility zerofree, recover-space.sh does not require unmounting the filesystem. It runs at similar speed to zerofree, and does not affect the size of the virtual disk image at the time of running (tested for vmdk under Vmware Player).
Under the hood all it does is to write null data to the unused space on the filesystem until it is full and then free it up. Because this filesystem will be momentarily full at the end of this process you are strongly advised not to write to it while this is underway.
If running on btrfs, ensure that compression is not enabled. It will not work with compression active because the null data will be compressed into a minimal space.
sudo ./recover-space.sh [directory]
sudo ./recover-space.sh /tmp
-h show help and exit
-l show changelog and exit
Copyright 2015 Dominic Raferd. Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance with the License. You may obtain a copy of the License at http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0. Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied. See the License for the specific language governing permissions and limitations under the License.
0.5 [21 Apr 2015] - add some description about use under btrfs
0.4 [10 Dec 2014] - improved help text, compare with zerofree
0.3 [22 Aug 2014] - better reporting especially during process
0.2 [30 Apr 2013] - add help, changelog, variable directory parameter
0.1 [26 Jul 2012] - first version
- TimeDicer - Onsite/offsite data backup for Windows (uses rdiff-backup)
- Finding a 4D Backup Solution
- Web Scraping How To - extracting data from web sites
Here is a selection of some (other) programs I have written, most of which run from the command line (CLI), are freely available and can be obtained by clicking on the links. Dependencies are shown and while in most cases written for a conventional Linux server, they should run even on a Raspberry Pi, and many can run under Windows using Cygwin. Email me if you have problems or questions, or if you think I could help with a programming requirement.
- TimeDicer - Onsite/offsite data backup for Windows (uses rdiff-backup) [ GNU/Linux & MS Windows©: 2008-16 ]
- rdiffweb-install - GNU/Linux script to install rdiffWeb. [ GNU/Linux: 2011-16 ]
- rdiff-backup-regress - GNU/Linux script to regress an rdiff-backup archive. [ GNU/Linux: 2012-16 ]
Debian/Ubuntu kernel and LVM Utilities
- kernel-remove - GNU/Linux script to list the installed GNU/Linux kernels in a Debian-based distro (e.g. Ubuntu), and can be used to remove an unwanted kernel and related packages, updating grub appropriately. (Ubuntu Tweak can do the same but kernel-remove.sh is a command-line script so does not require GUI.) [ GNU/Linux-Debian/Ubuntu: 2010-15 ]
- kernel-update - GNU/Linux script to install/update Ubuntu kernel (also optionally btrfs-progs and duperemove) with latest version. [ GNU/Linux-Ubuntu: 2015-16 ]
- lvm-usage - GNU/Linux script to show available disk space and how it is used; run as cron job to warn if usage is above a set percentage. Provides additional information if LVM is in use. [ GNU/Linux-Debian/Ubuntu: 2012-16 ]
- lvm-delete-snapshot - GNU/Linux script to remove LVM snapshot that has been left over by another process. [ GNU/Linux-Debian/Ubuntu: 2012-16 ]
Dellmont / Three / Giffgaff / Vodafone - VoIP and Mobile Phone Account Utilities
- dellmont-credit-checker - GNU/Linux script to check credit balance on many Dellmont / Finarea / Betamax portals such as voicetrading.com and voipdiscount.com. [ GNU/Linux: 2008-17 ]
- sms-sender - GNU/Linux script to send text messages using Dellmont’s voicetrading.com. [ GNU/Linux: 2012-16 ]
- get-vt-cdrs - GNU/Linux script to download CDRs (call detail records) from Dellmont’s voicetrading.com or voippro.com. [ GNU/Linux: 2010-17 ]
- saynoto0870 - For people in UK, a GNU/Linux script which performs automated lookup of the www.saynoto0870.com database, finding cheap or free geographic number replacements for expensive non-geographic (087* or 084*) numbers. [ GNU/Linux: 2012-12 ]
- three-credit-checker - GNU/Linux script which checks credit/calls/text/data remaining on a mobile phone account with three.co.uk. [ GNU/Linux: 2014-16 ]
- giffgaff-credit-checker - GNU/Linux script which checks credit/calls/text/data remaining on a mobile phone account with giffgaff.com. [ GNU/Linux: 2014-17 ]
- vodafone-compile-bills - GNU/Linux script which reprocesses downloaded call record 'csv' files from vodafone.co.uk so that they can be easily analysed via spreadsheet - including analysis of bundled minutes which even Vodafone do not seem able to perform! [ GNU/Linux: 2012-16 ]
- sleepwalker - Windows© program which can be run from a remote machine to 'wake up' a Windows© machine behind a router, wait for it to start and then initiate Remote Desktop session. [MS Windows©: 2008-14]
- pass - GNU/Linux local program for easy entering of decrypt passphrase on a remote machine which has root dm-crypt+LUKS. [ GNU/Linux: 2017-17 ]
- unlock - GNU/Linux remote program for easy entering of decrypt passphrase on a remote machine which has root dm-crypt+LUKS. [ GNU/Linux: 2017-17 ]
- nano-update - GNU/Linux program to check/configure/make/install editor nano to the latest stable version found at http://www.nano-editor.org. [ GNU/Linux: 2015-16 ]
- pdf-compress - GNU/Linux program to create smaller b/w pdf file from an original large pdf file, especially when original resulted from scanning. [ GNU/Linux: 2016-17 ]
- form-extractor - GNU/Linux program to extract form tags from a web page or downloaded file. [ GNU/Linux: 2012-16 ]
- 123-dns-manager - GNU/Linux program for automated 123-Reg.co.uk Advanced DNS management. [ GNU/Linux: 2016-17 ]
- 123-dns-sync - GNU/Linux program to update DNS record at 123-Reg.co.uk to match external ip. [ GNU/Linux: 2016-17 ]
- tiny-device-monitor - GNU/Linux program to test webpages (including password-protected) or machines to check they are live; use as a cron job for your own websites, for hardware presenting a webpage, or for any machines with a presence on your local LAN or on the internet. [ GNU/Linux: 2009-16 ]
- dutree - GNU/Linux program to show a tree-style list of files and directories at the specified location and greater than the specified size (default 1GB). [ GNU/Linux: 2012-15 ]
- disk-wiper - GNU/Linux script to wipe a disk drive comprehensively and also check it for bad blocks. For use on a surplus drive (not SSD, not GPT) before passing to a third party. [ GNU/Linux: 2011-16 ]
- myip-upload - GNU/Linux and Windows (Cygwin) script to obtain external ip and upload it to remote site/file by ftp. [ GNU/Linux & MS Windows©: 2014-16 ]
- man2text - GNU/Linux one-liner program to convert man page output to straightforward text. [ GNU/Linux: 2012-12 ]
- Accounts - Multi-business multi-currency accounting software, uses Access [MS Windows©: 1996-2016]
- Rents Program - Residential lettings/landlord front office program, with many special features for UK market [MS Windows©: 1991-2016]